Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Culture Jamming



In the past, I have had great appreciation for culture jamming. I was specifically interested in guerilla marketing. The idea that we are being bombarded with constant advertisements is overwhelming for many people, but for some it is just everyday. I personally do not watch television and this creates great division in my socialization compared to some of my friends. I tend to think differently when certain situations arise, however my ideas my seem obslete. The political nature of this is the idea that our society has a set of rules which stem from popular culture. If not kept up with popular culture through media, one becomes an outsider. This can be positive of negative depending on who you are. A great spin on guerilla marketing are those whom take advertisements and spin them. Also the movement of street artists that use the same ideas to get you to stop and think. An idea of the latter are trompe l'oeil paintings in public spaces. When applied, the viewer stops and views space differently. Some of these paintings could have historical references as well as social issues. This idea is exciting to me, the push for more of this work will take public space and compete with advertisement to influence. After all, public space is not neutral nowadays.

No comments:

Post a Comment