Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Haines Gallery (Outside Event)


I finally had the chance to see the works of a favourite of mine, Darren Waterston. His work is displayed at Haines Gallery in downtown San Francisco. When I entered the gallery, large sheets of metal with a landscape-eske engravings dominated the room. Some of the forms looked like cross-sections of rock. The compositions were reminded me of generic the 9"x12" but these pieces were all about the material.
I was very excited to enter into the room where Waterston was showing. I went right for the artist statement. In one corner, there was a dried lava looking sculpture which complimented the works. The works were composed in a sketchbook style, stacked and grouped close. The pieces ranged in size, from 12"x12" to 18"x24". I moved in closer, I have heard that his paintings have amazing surfaces and they did.
After seeing this show, I ventured into the other galleries which were spread across five floors.
The mixture of wine and the excitement of seeing work for the first time assured my "first thursday" was a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment